Thursday, March 3, 2016

Homemade Healthy Hummus - 3 Ways!! Mind Over Munch

Hummus! it's trending so I'm on it. Delicious as a dip with chips or vegetables, as a mayo substitute, on eggs, or even in salad dressings and pasta sauces. Today I wanted to share my simple base recipe for a traditional hummus that you can easily customized to flavor however you would like. So our traditional hummus is made with chickpeas or garbanzo beans, olive oil, tahini or sesame seed paste which gives hummus that hummus flavor, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and some of that reserved chickpea water and I do recommend using fresh garlic and lemon juice in your hummus. I personally use less tahini and an olive oil than traditional recipes call for because even though they are healthy and wholesome ingredients they are higher in fat and honestly I think that the hummus still taste delicious with less of it so why add more when it really isn't needed.


Now if you stop here with the ingredients you will get a normal hummus. But today we are not going for normal. To this space we are swapping the lemon juice with lime juice, adding jalepenos seeded you want less heat, some black pepper, and a little honey for my jalepeno honey hummus. One of the best things about making hummus is that it is so easy. You literally put everything into the food processor or blender and blend it on up. MmmMM.


Look at that creamy goodness. This recipe happens to be my personal favorite of the three you're gonna see today but you gotta keep watching so you can decide which is yours and don't forget to subscribe for more weekly recipe videos. Next up, my sweet potato hummus. Say what?! Thumbs up for creative combos. Start again with your basic ingredients. Chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, garlic, lemon salt, and some chickpea water and then we are going to add some mashed sweet potato, paprika, cumin, and cayenne for a kick. Again we're just going to add all of the ingredients into the food processor and blend them on up. You can always adjust the seasonings an ingredient amounts as you go to taste. The great thing about hummus is it is pretty tough to mess up. You don't really need a recipe to do it right and I like to keep the extra chickpea can water to adjust the consistency as I like with that chickpea flavor. But you can also use water if you're trying to watch your sodium. Another delicious creamy recipe and that beautiful orange color makes all the more tempting. Alright so I've got one more hummus recipe and this one is a little bit different.

Start with your basic hummus recipe but this time we are going to switch out your chickpeas for white beans, the chickpea can water for the white bean water and we're gonna switch that lemon out once more for lime juice. We are also going to add avocado, parsley, and spinach. That's right it is an avocado white bean hummus. Now I know without the chickpeas it's not technically a hummus but I promise it is just as delicious and creamy and if you don't have white beans or you don't want to you can just use chickpeas. Go ahead and add all of the ingredients once more into your blender or food processor. Now because there is an avocado in this recipe it is going to be higher in fat than the other hummus recipes even if it is good fat. This may be one recipe where you consider using less oil olive and tahini or omitting them completely and just getting the fat from the avocado. It will be more like a dip than a true hummus without the tahini but it's still gonna be delicious. That avocado makes this one the creaminess yet and I love that green color. And there you have it my delicious hummus trio. Perfect for your next party or to just keep in the fridge and enjoy on your own. I wanna know which one are you most excited to try and what are some other flavor combos you can try out. Comment below and let me know. 

I am just someone who likes to write,especially writing about diet programs. Thanks For Reading My Blog

 
Back To Top